(Looking for classes for kids? Check out our Karate for Kids and Families page!)
Why Every Body Karate?
Because no body is perfect and every body deserves to feel safe, strong, and respected. Start karate with the body you have today. We want each person to discover the joy of karate in the body they have—not the body someone else tells them they should have.
How to we make our classes welcoming to every body at Jin Sei Ryu Karate-Do Chicago?
- We use trauma-aware teaching practices
- We create a trans-affirming space
- We offer tiered pricing – which allows those who can afford it the opportunity to support those less able
- We offer remote classes – which we know is essential for safety in the “New Abnormal” of Covid-19
- We offer affordable one-on-one remote or in-person private lessons
What do you mean by Body-positive karate?
At Culture of Safety, we know that people come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and abilities. We believe and are committed to the principle that each person gets to practice karate with the body they have–not the body they (or someone else) wishes they had. We recognize that size is not necessarily an indicator of fitness; fitness looks different for each body.
As part of our commitment to inclusivity and diversity, we teach from a body-positive, trans-affirming, and trauma-aware perspective. Whatever your age, whatever your fitness level, we’re here to help you find your strongest, most confident, and most empowered self. All classes are currently taught by Amy Jones and Kyren Epperson. Amy Jones, LSW (she/her) is a 3rd degree black belt and a licensed social worker, as well as a certified empowerment self-defense instructor. Kyren Epperson, PhD (they/them) is a 2nd degree black belt, a teacher of samatha meditation, and a student of Zen Shiatsu massage (bodywork) as well as a certified empowerment self-defense instructor. With their blend of backgrounds, Senpai Amy and Senpai Kyren work to create an empowering environment where folks of all ages and stages can feel safe exploring something new.
What do you get for the cost?
- 8 weeks of unlimited classes
- Free Uniform ($35 value) at completion
- a 15-minute PRIVATE session o be scheduled at your convenience during the second month of the series!
What if I want to keep taking classes after March 13th?
No worries! After completing the Bootcamp, you can join as a member at one of our monthly membership tiers to gain access to remote multi-level classes 5 days a week!
Ready to sign up?
Fill out the form below and we’ll contact you from there!